Monday, December 12, 2011

Unsung Hero: Clear Nail Polish

Does the gem fall out of every single nose ring and you're sick of buying new ones? I literally go through about 12 nose rings a year, because they each last about a month. I like the ones that hold a little gem at the end-- so dainty and adds a touch of sparkle to your every day look! But unfortunately, there isn't such a thing as a "high-quality" nose ring, so the gems always end up falling out. I have had my piercing for about eight years and throughout that time, I've searched far and wide, including places like New York City, L.A. and Las Vegas, and every single vendor cart and jewelry shop I've gone to sells the same darn cheap-o nose rings. Imagine my delight when I purchased my last round of nose rings at Claire's the other day and the girl who worked there told me she paints the gems with clear top coat nail polish to hold it in place


Can we say...genius? Why the heck didn't I think of that!?  


I am happy to report that since painting all of my nose ring gems with clear top coat, they have all stayed put. We'll see how long they last, but so far, I'm pretty impressed. I spoke with another sales girl at a different jewelry store, and she told me she also paints all of her fashion (a.k.a. cheap) jewelry with clear top coat to keep the finish from rusting. I went to town last night on all my Forever 21/Claire's/Icing accessories and drowned them all in top coat. I can't believe I didn't know this little trick! Did you? 


1 comment:

  1. I realized that clear nail polish would help the gemstones in my nose rings stay in place after I lost the stone out of one of my favorite studs. I never thought of painting my costume jewelry with clear nail polish though. That stuff is almost as useful as duct tape. Lol.

    ReplyDelete